Saturday, March 31, 2012

Wild for Wild

I would much rather read a good book than do my homework.  I'd rather travel than do my homework, too.  And even though I can tailor my grad school projects to relate somehow to my love of travel (i.e. creating an interactive map of Shenandoah National Park, writing an article for Women's Adventure magazine, teaching a travel-themed section of first-year writing, etc.), I prefer not to do homework.  Ever.  It's stupid, especially at the graduate level.

After I publish this post, Productive Me knows that I should start this essay that's kinda due tomorrow night.  But I won't. Instead, I'm going to vicariously hike the Pacific Crest Trail.  Cheryl Strayed has got me absolutely wild about her recently published memoir, Wild.


Despite the fact that I'm only on page 43, I highly encourage everyone to run to their nearest e-Reader or Barnes & Noble and purchase this gem of a book. Here's an excerpt from the prologue:

The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California. Moments before, I'd removed my hiking boots and the left one had fallen into those trees, first catapulting into the air when my enormous backpack toppled onto it, then skittering across the gravelly trail and flying over the edge. It bounced off a rocky outcropping several feet beneath me before disappearing into the forest canopy below, impossible to retrieve. I let out a stunned gasp, though I'd been in the wilderness thirty-eight days and by then I'd come to know that anything could happen and that everything would. But that doesn't mean I wasn't shocked when it did.

My boot was gone. Actually gone.

I clutched its mate to my chest like a baby, though of course it was futile. What is one boot without the other boot? It is nothing. It is useless, an orphan forevermore, and I could take no mercy on it. It was a big lug of a thing, of genuine heft, a brown leather Raichle boot with a red lace and silver metal fasts. I lifted it high and threw it with all my might and watched it fall into the lush trees and out of my life.

I was alone. I was barefoot. I was twenty-six years old and an orphan too. An actual stray, a stranger had observed a couple of weeks before, when I'd told him my name and explained how very loose I was in the world. My father left my life when I was six. My mother died when I was twenty-two. In the wake of her death, my stepfather morphed from the person I considered my dad into a man I only occasionally recognized. My two siblings scattered in their grief, in spite of my efforts to hold us together, until I gave up and scattered as well.

In the years before I pitched my boot over the edge of that mountain, I'd been pitching myself over the edge too. I'd ranged and roamed and railed -- from Minnesota to New York to Oregon and all across the West -- until at last I found myself, bootless, in the summer of 1995, not so much loose in the world as bound to it.

It was a world I'd never been to and yet had known was there all along, one I'd staggered to in sorrow and confusion and fear and hope. A world I thought would both make me into the woman I knew I could become and turn me back into the girl I'd once been. A world that measured two feet wide and 2,663 miles long.

A world called the Pacific Crest Trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment