Sunday, March 4, 2012

Bravo! This deserves a Standing-O.


I almost fell asleep on the way to the play. I could barely keep my eyes open on the subway. Apparently, I was dozing off a little bit, too. Needless to say, I needed to get a second wind and stat. Luckily, there was lots of yelling in the play. And that woke me up.

Philip Seymour Hoffman starred as Willie. Andrew Garfield starred as Biff. And we rushed the play and managed to get thirty dollar tickets. Yay to being under 30. Some people in the audience paid up to 130 dollars per ticket. I wonder what Woody Allen paid for his seat. We saw him in the audience in like the second row. Then again, maybe he didn't even have to pay at all. Tom Hanks doesn't get special treatment, though. Apparently, he showed up to last night's show three minutes late and wasn't allowed in. I probably would have peed my pants if I saw Tom Hanks, love me some Tom Hanks. Woody Allen is cool, too minus the whole marrying his stepdaughter thing. 

I must say Hoffman was an excellent Willie. Compelling, sad, a little pathetic. He performed the hallucination scenes very well. Garfield did well has Biff. His stature was a little small, which threw me off, but he played the character with such passion. For example during the intense anger-infused scenes, snot was coming out of his nose and spit was coming out of his mouth. Also, the elaborate yet simple set looked beautiful. They even projected leaves on the back curtain at certain points in the production. The other neat thing was the hidden elevator that took Happy and Biff to and from their bed during the flashback scenes.

The cast received a standing ovation when the curtain came up. Some dude behind me kept chanting bravo, bravo. The characters moved me to tears several times, but the clapping at the end moved me to tears as well. It was a superb first Broadway experience, slightly surreal.

And then we got some autographs in the freezing cold including Andrew Garfield's excluding Philip Seymour Hoffman's, and that was before seeing Nick Jonas on our way to Justin Timberlake's restaurant, Southern Hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment