Monday, March 26, 2012

Crushin' on the Orange Crush

After spending a rainy day in Colonial Williamsburg, Felicia and I ended up at Waterman's Surfside Grille in Virginia Beach.

During our 35-minute wait, as we knocked back a couple of cocktails at an overcrowded bar, we chatted with a mom who was out to dinner with her two adult daughters.

Our small talk started thanks in part to my decision to forcefully maneuver a rude dude (I rhymed that on purpose) out of my way to grab a stack of cocktail napkins for the oldest daughter, the one from San Diego.  San Diego was at the beach visiting her family before heading to Texas for a panel interview with nine different lawyers.  If she got the job, she would be recruiting young lawyers to join the firm in Texas.  I only talked to her for 20 minutes, but I really hope she got the job.  She's been out of work for 14 months and counting.

Other random fact about San Diego: She spent some time at JMU.  During high school, she had a shaving cream fight during a field hockey camp.  Apparently, she and her teammates had kickass post-fight hair, but cleaning up the mess after the fight that resulted in kickass hair was not so kickass.

Another cool fact, San Diego and her sister lived in Korea as kids, and their mom finally helped me to remember the base Brad was at during his time in Korea.  I could remember Dongduchon, but I couldn't remember Camp Casey. Go figure.  Bar talk topics are often very random, but writer Aimee thrives during this kind of stuff.  It's great material for travel narratives.

I wonder if the same conversation would have happened over milk. I highly doubt it, even if the milk was chocolate.  Or the less popular strawberry.  There's just something special about alcohol, seriously.  Also, there's something especially special about the Fisherman's Orange Crush.  It's my new drink of choice minus the always delicious fresh fruit mojitos lovingly made by my family on the Delaware:
  • the juice of one whole orange
  • 1 oz orange vodka
  • 1 oz triple sec
  • splash of sprite
  • a glass full of crushed ice
Pour all of the ingredients over the crushed ice, insert straw, and enjoy!  Even looks delicious, doesn't it?


It seems to me that three orange crushes was the charm, for me at least.  Within fifteen minutes of returning to our dated-but-clean hotel room, I was out like a light.  According to Felicia, I managed to sleep through a pretty epic thunderstorm.  But I woke up to a hazy sun, crashing waves, surfers, and a dolphin pod.  And despite the chilly temperature outside, the scene screamed summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment