Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Road Tunes Tuesday

I tried this before, and it didn't work.  And if at first you don't succeed...you know the rest so I won't even bother.  This is a new segment called Road Tunes Tuesday.  Each Tuesday, I'll post three songs that make me want to get-up-and go or that just make me think.

Today's genre: Bluegrassy/Folksy/Whatever

1) "Listen" by Dave Eakin and Steven Hoke, and since I can't find a video on YouTube, here are the lyrics:

Turn your ear to the wind and just listen
To the sound the breeze is blowing through
Far off somewhere in the distance
There’s something calling out to you

I’ve stood breathless on a mountain top just looking
At the sights that turned my gaze into a stare
Felt a kind of power rushing through me
Like none I’d ever known could compare

Some men never take the time to listen
Some listen but they never really hear
They’re distracted by life rushing all around them
And their hearts are filled with jealousy and fear

Some find comfort in a crowd for there’s no danger
No chance that anyone will get too near
But the good-time friends soon turn to total strangers
When the lights fade and the smiles all disappear

Maybe I'm PMSing (not likely) or maybe I'm pregnant (very not likely) or maybe this is just a damn good song (most likely), but this one made me cry.  It's definitely worth the DL if you like contemporary bluegrass. 

2)  "Safe and Sound" by Taylor Swift.  I'm not usually into her stuff, but this one is a true gem and quite appropriate for both The Hunger Games and a Locked Up Abroad soundtrack, if the show ever decided to have one, that is.  There's the travel reference.  I know you were waiting for it.  Also, when I got my tonsils out in January 2012, I'd listen to it over and over again while waiting for my 2:00AM dose of pain meds.  Thinking about Katniss fighting in the arena made me feel much less depressed about my own situation.


3) "Rise" by Eddie Vedder from the soundtrack of my most favorite movie ever: Into the Wild.  It's a book, too, but you should already know that from previous posts.  I find the similarities between Brad and movie-version Alexander Supertramp to be absolutely uncanny.  Saw the movie for the first time when Brad was deployed...talk about water works.  What can I say?  I was fragile, like a lily.  Unlike today, I have no excuse for my previously mentioned tears.  None at all.


And that's a wrap.  Whew, came in just under the wire...11:59PM.

Happy trails, happy travels, happy tuneage!

No comments:

Post a Comment