Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Tupelo Honey Cafe Experience



Based on a recommendation from the bookseller at Malaprop’s, I’m sitting in a restaurant-sized café in Asheville—Tupelo Honey Café. I just ordered a Porch Swing (adult iced tea), and my waiter is bringing me a homemade biscuit with blueberry jam and honey. He said it’ll go great with the tea I ordered. I’ve already decided I’m going to leave him a really nice tip, and I haven’t even gotten my drink yet.

I don’t know if it’s possible to fall in love with a place. Let me rephrase that. I know it’s possible to fall in love with a place, but I didn’t know it was possible to feel at home in a strange city until today. Asheville is my home even if Brad and I never make the move.

I walked into Mast General Store and nearly bought a shirt that said, “Hippies Use the Side Door.” I left without the shirt, but with a bright attitude and brighter smile. There was a person in a full-body checkered suit playing the harp on the corner, and across the street another man was playing trumpet. I saw the most stunning graffiti on my journey: a memorial for a mother’s battle with breast cancer, abstract designs, old slavery scenes.

Wandering downtown, I looked for nothing but an experience and randomly ended up outside of Malaprop’s: a world famous bookstore. And because of Malaprop’s I wound up here at this café.

…a place where my waiter told me to “Be on the vibe.” Where he said, “Be open to the path and something will work out for you.” He’s wise. He’s fun. And he hand-delivered a meal that warmed my belly and my heart.




A homemade biscuit topped with blueberry jam and homemade honey, shrimp and grits, and pecan pie. I’m in the south, and I’m in love. It’s 4:45PM, and this is the first thing I’ve eaten all day. I was too nervous to eat before the job fair and too excited to eat after it. This meal may very well be the only thing I eat all day. But it doesn’t matter because I’m on the vibe.

I keep getting looks. I’m the girl on her Mac in the café. People may be wondering why I’m here alone..maybe not. I don’t feel alone, though, I feel like I’m finally home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment