Thursday, January 3, 2013

Recipe for a Great Job Fair Experience

I'm hungry, so I'm writing this as a recipe. Yes, I realize that's really corny.

Ingredients...with notes
  • Clean copies of your PROOFREAD resume printed on resume paper. 
On one website that I went to, the blogger said that passing out a resume with a typo on it is like walking around with poop on your forehead. I mean, I thought it was funny, and his point was clear.
  • Well-designed "business" card. 
I guess it's more of a calling card, but that sounds weird. My *insert descriptive word here* card has a QR code that, when scanned, links to my online portfolio. Create a QR code using a website like this. Side note: QR code seemed to impress people.
  • Online portfolio, if it's relevant for your field. 
It is for Writing, Rhetoric and Technical Communication. Maybe not so much for IT? I don't know. 
  • Print portfolio, if it's relevant for your field. 
Again, it's relevant for WRTC, so I incorporated one into my portfolio binder. 
  • Portfolio binder to keep you organized. 
Please take note. No one is going to take you seriously if you're fiddling around to find your stuff in an oversized purse or Thomas the Tank Engine Backpack. I (err...Brad) paid 20 bucks for my portfolio. It was well worth the money.
  • Paper and pen.
  • Professional outfit (e.g. pantsuit, knee-length skirt and blouse, suit for guys, etc.)
  • Cover letter (optional).
  • Charm to taste. 

Directions
  1. First, set the oven to 300 degrees. A little recipe humor...
  2. Before the job fair, research the employers that will be there and potential jobs that might be available. I found that there were more jobs than the ones listed online, so don't get discouraged from talking to an employer based on openings. Also, don't be discouraged if the first employer you talk to patronizes your "entry-levelness." YOUR FIRST JOB FAIR ABOVE ALL ELSE IS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE.
  3. When you arrive at the job fair, get a map of the booths. Go through and mark which employers you want to speak with.
  4. Introduce yourself to the employer. Firm handshake, good eye contact. If you did your homework thoroughly, you'll talk to employers that have openings that you're interested in. But don't be afraid to ask if they have any positions available that weren't listed on their website.
  5. Be yourself. I know it's cliche advice, but employers will figure out who you are eventually. Be polite and professional, but don't be afraid to incorporate a bit of humor into your conversation.  It may make you stand out. 
  6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 as often as you want. I went to 5 of the 85 booths. Baby steps?
A confession...I can't believe I'm admitting to this on the internet, but I got a little teary eyed when I finally processed where I was and what I was doing. Yes, I've had plenty of jobs. Those of you know me, know I work three, but this career thing is a big deal in the book of life. I'm about to start a new chapter, one where the setting for the first time in nineteen years isn't school, and that's a bit scary. But good scary...like row boating with alligators, driving a car at 108 mph, or exploring a strange city...solo.

No comments:

Post a Comment