Thursday, August 2, 2012

Happy Belated Birthday, Harry!


Happy Belated Birthday, Harry Potter.  Better late than never, right?

This may come as a shock to some, but I didn't actually read the first book in the series.  *GASP* I listened to it every afternoon while sitting indian-style on the floor of a fifth grade classroom in Hope Mills, NC.  Even though I hated my teacher (because she called me fat), I will forever be grateful to her for introducing me to the series, a series which has deprived me of sleep for many, many years after...all night reading sessions, midnight book releases, etc.

Item #16 on the Bucket List = The Harry Potter Project.  I am to re-read all of the books, re-watch all of the movies, and then cap off the experience with a trip to the Harry Potter theme park at Universal Studios in Orlando, FL.  Yes, I am 23 years old.  And no, that doesn't bother me. 

On my recent trip to South Carolina, I started from the beginning--Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, page 1.  This muggle (me) was so engrossed that she may have forgot about high tide.  Think iPhone, think car keys, think pictures that had not yet been downloaded onto my computer... 

So, anyways, I'm on a beach in Sullivan's Island, SC with the waves crashing at my feet in the middle of shopping in Diagon Alley with Hagrid and Harry, you know, for school supplies, when all of a sudden


I hear Rachel, yell, "Hey, Aim!  Can you get your nose out of your book for five minutes to help me save our shit?" I consider myself blameless.  If J.K. Rowling didn't write so damn good I wouldn't have been so out of touch with reality.  Also, I wouldn't genuinely wish that I was a wizard, either.

Going to Hogwarts sounds way better than another year in grad school.  Way, way, way better.

No comments:

Post a Comment