Saturday, December 17, 2011

There's Nothing More American than McDonald's and Starbucks (written in Washington, D.C.)


I'm sitting on the ground in the middle of Union Station eating a McDonald's cheeseburger and drinking a White Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks.  I suppose some may argue that the soldiers sitting in ACUs about 50 feet away from me are more American than these two fast food staples, but I digress.

The car ride to DC was an adventure in itself.  Brad decided to use his GPS instead of my On-Star turn-by-turn.......why?  I do not know.  Once we got into DC, I felt like I was in the Allstate Mayhem commercial.  Recalculating.  Recalculating.  Recalculating.  It was actually kind of amusing but that's probably because I wasn't driving.  Poor Brad.  So glad he volunteered to take me.

Saw a lady on a bicycle wearing a cape and a Santa hat.  I thought it was pretty cool.  Brad--not so much.  Maybe it was because the DC stop lights got him again.  I swear.  He runs one everytime we're here.  Once I had my sights on Union Station I insisted that he drop me off on the side of the road, but what a gentleman.  He found a place to park, took my picture, wished me well, and kissed me goodbye...twice.  The goodbye was kind of weird.  He's always leaving me.  I'm never leaving him. 

Now I'm talking to a very friendly older lady heading out to Kansas to see her family for the holidays.  People think she's crazy because she doesn't like to fly.  But not me.  I love trains, too.  I think it must be the conversation.  Oh, the things you can learn "if you just open your mouth."  That's what she said.  She already talked to the soldiers, a couple from Australia on a seven week vacation in the states, and me the traveling blogger who wants to teach writing.

Will post again when I get the chance.  Should be boarding the train soon.  Cross your fingers that I get a window seat and that my seat mate appreciates hygeine.

1 comment:

  1. My little adventurer! If someone would have ever said that "my Aimee" would board a train all by herself to go from one side of the country to the other......I would have said no way! Is this the same little girl who I had to sleep with as her baby sister went to sleep alone in her crib? Is this the same little girl who didn't want to be alone and was afraid of the dark? Well... You my dear daughter are all grown up and what an amazing, adventurous, giving, kind, loving, generous, brilliant, confident, creative woman you have become! We are all so very proud of you! Enjoy your adventure, can't wait to hear all about it. Safe travels! Remember you'll be in my heart....always... xo Mom (evidently NOT an English major)

    ReplyDelete