Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Snow in the Desert? WTH (written in New Mexico)


In Kansas City, MO, I made a new friend.  Her name is Gina, and she is taking the train to surprise her family in Flagstaff, Arizona.  She’s twenty, and this is her first train ride.  Once we started moving, she wondered if the clanking was normal.  She wondered if the shaking of the car in front of us was normal, and if the lack of security was normal, too.  I assured her that everything would be just fine, and we became fast friends.  I love the way she says, “Gotcha” and also the way she says, “Ya Know.”  Gina’s from Minnesota, and her accent reminds me of Bobby’s World.  Gina said I have an accent, too, which is something I rarely ever hear.  Except, of course, when Brad makes fun of the way I say, “Pancakes…..and coffee.”  Accents seem to be a bit of a theme today.  The White woman behind me was laughing at the way her Spanish-speaking seatmate said, "Sugar."  Had a few choice words at that moment.  Kept them to myself, though.  Maybe I shouldn't have. 

Gina and I commandeered a couple of seats in the sightseeing lounge early in the morning, and that’s where we spent most of our day.  It’s been snowing off and on since we woke up.  We have even traveled through a couple of blizzards.  Maybe it’s just one big one.  I don’t know. 

The Colorado prairies were stunning.  We went through Lamar, La Junta, and Trinidad.  I especially loved this leg of the trip.  The homes on the side of the road had a lot of character, and as many of you know, I love run down houses. Some of houses had old truck and car parts in their yards.  Others had pastures full of cattle, and on the cattle’s fur was a layer of new fallen snow.  I’ll make sure to post pictures after I get home. 

In Colorado, we also rode passed the Wooten Ranch.  Once I get internet access, I need to strengthen the history sections of these blog posts, but for now, it is what it is.  I like being unplugged, but for the purpose of accuracy, I do wish I had access to Google.  About Wooten--he was an outlaw, and he was shot dead by someone.  Before he died, he charged people money to use the Sante Fe Trail which ran on his property, and if it wasn’t for the snow we would have been able to see his gravesite.  It’s only 100 yards from the track. 

After passing Wooten Ranch, we climbed to the top of Raton Pass (7,000 feet).  When we entered the tunnel, we were still in Colorado.  When we exited, we were in New Mexico.  New Mexico is not what I expected.  In my mind, I thought tumbleweeds.  In actuality, I should have thought snow and lots of it. 

Because of the snow, we are running about three hours behind schedule.  Apparently, the police have shut down some interstates, and many of the travelers on the train are worried about their loved ones driving to the stations.  For once, I have nothing to worry about because I’m a drifter.  I was born to walk alone.  The Southwest Chief is the only train I’ve ever known.  That’s a lie, I know the Capitol Limited, too.  Hopefully, you all get that reference.  I know a few people that should.  Otherwise, I'm gonna just feel like a dork.

Seeing snow in the desert is pretty ironic.  The last time my dad traveled cross-country, there was snow in New Mexico.  So, maybe it’s a Brasseur thing?  I don’t know.  A lot of people are upset about the delays, but like Steinbeck said, “A journey is like a marriage.  The only way you can go wrong is to think you can control it.”  Traveling with that attitude, you can’t go wrong.  I doubt I’ll get to see the Pacific this trip.  Maybe I will, but I doubt it.  Good thing is, I met a friend from Los Angeles, and Los Angeles has helped me to figure out some back-up plans.  Hollywood Walk of Fame, Universal Studios, and a train ride to LAX.

Another history lesson.  Felicia, please help me out in the comments section.  In New Mexico, we traveled by Glorietta Canyon.  The battle held there is known as the Gettysburg of the West, and the fields we passed are often referred to as the killing fields.  An American flag near a pavilion marks the spot of the battle’s memorial.  I couldn’t get a good picture, though, because it was dark and snowy.  It was a dark and snow night.......there's another one!  Get it?  Anyways, hopefully, I can find something online once I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment