Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Thomas House Restaurant

It was Friday. Cue the singing angels...

and I was going out to lunch with two of my favorite people, my neighbor Emily and my boss Kathy. It just so happened that Emily was randomly chosen to be Kathy's teaching assistant this semester.  Long story short, we're one big happy family.

So...the Thomas House!



A wishing fountain filled with coins, women in skirts and sneakers serving lunch in old-order bonnets,  a counter lined with pies and cakes.

Thanks to the women of Dayton, we, three (Kathy, Emily, and me), dined on a very moderately priced Mennonite feast served cafeteria style.



Feast is not an understatement either. With several main courses and over 25 sides to choose from, I had some decisions to make.

Instead of being jealous of Emily's meal, I ordered the same thing that she did: a generous helping of green beans, an overflowing bowl of scalloped potatoes, a large spoonful of watergate salad, and a big ol' homemade cornbread muffin. The squash casserole looked good, but I figured I could just get it next time I came to Thomas House. Oh, trust me, there will be a next time...soon, too.

And can't forget! Kathy graciously let me try one of her beets. Verdict? I like beets.

Other side options included: mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, and many more (x 18 mores to be exact).

The wood paneling and China plates hanging on the Thomas House walls added to its quaint Southern charm. The post-Valentine's Day spirit in the restaurant was fading. The roses were wilted, and the balloons were deflated, but this place had plenty of character without those things. Poultry workers, painters, retired women, a mentor and her two mentees chatting about what the next chapter in the book of life might hold.

It was a lunch surrounded by the hardworking people of this gorgeous valley (minus the Poultry plants...one across the street), and it was beautiful because well...on top of everything else, it was Friday and I was spending a beautiful Friday with two most beautiful people.

Schedule a meal at Thomas House soon. Your stomach will thank me. Here are directions.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! You captured this place perfectly! Can't wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, love! Can't wait to go back either. Might have to go next week while everyone is away.

    ReplyDelete