Sunday, April 15, 2012

#Unplug


Item 89 on My Bucket List is to unplug for 48 hours.  No TV, no phone, no Facebook, no e-mail, no etc.  I'm taking baby-steps toward that goal.

After a particularly trying day at the small restaurant where I work, I decided that I needed to kind-of unplug.  From Saturday night to Monday morning, I would turn off my phone and not check Facebook.  It's Sunday afternoon, and my phone is still off.  And I have no idea how many people liked my most recent status, which is something to the likes of "Turning off my phone until Monday morning.  In case of an emergency, call Brad."  Brad being my non-husband, life partner, significantly-immature other, etc.

I guess it's a bit of an oxy-moron to blog about the idea of unplugging.  Actually, it's a huge oxy-moron, but I honestly think that there are benefits to unplugging, especially while traveling.  For example, say you're updating your Facebook status while walking down Rodeo Drive and while updating said status you miss spotting Ryan Gosling and Adam Levine incognito-ly chatting about the weather or, say, me.  :)

The same kind of thing can happen in the great outdoors, too.  A place where you're seemingly away from civilization.  Let's say you're texting your friend about how beautiful Yellowstone National Park is, and you miss three grizzly bear cubs walk across the road.  Such a sight is pretty damn cool and a once-in-a-lifetime experience for some.  I once saw three black bear cubs walk across the road in Shenandoah National Park, and it was like something from a postcard.  Seriously.

Every once in a while it's healthy to unplug.  Fun things happen when the powers out.  For example, you could eat Subway, play MadLibs, and make shadow puppets on the wall. Or you could just cuddle-up with your partner.  Or......................nevermind............I'll keep it PG.

I'm not a Luddite.  For example, I love my iPhone..........love, love, love.  I just don't want technology to take over my life, and some days I think it has.

No comments:

Post a Comment